Disclosing Criminal Convictions

So you have a speeding ticket or impaired driving charge, an expired registration, or an assault charge. Commission rules require that you disclose certain types of convictions to the Commission, but which ones, how, and within what time period?

1. Before reporting, wait for final adjudication, which occurs following a plea of guilty or a finding of guilt by a judge or jury. Do not file a report before a judgment is entered against you to avoid a file being opened and a permanent record made of your report, which may be unnecessary if you are found not guilty or the matter is dismissed.

2. Non-moving violations, such as expired registrations, expired tags, etc., are not reportable offenses. Likewise, you are not required to report speeding convictions. All misdemeanor and felony convictions, however, must be reported. These include convictions for DWI or reckless driving, assault, larceny, etc. If you have questions about the reporting process, call the Commission’s Legal Services Division.

3. Once you have entered a plea or otherwise have a criminal judgment against you, go to the Commission’s Web site, www.ncrec.gov and, under “Forms,” print the Criminal Conviction / Disciplinary Action Reporting Form. Please read the directions, which require you to provide a narrative in your own words explaining the incident and a CERTIFIED copy of the final order or judgment issued by the court. You have 60 days after conviction to file the form and supporting documentation with the Commission.

Once you have filed your report, the Legal Services Division will review it to determine if further action is necessary. You may be contacted to provide additional information. Just remember to respond quickly, fully and completely, so the matter can be handled in a timely manner.  As with everything, full disclosure is always best.

This article came from the October 2010-Vol41-2 edition of the bulletin.