Note! Information in this article may be dated. To search recent bulletin articles click here.

Frequently Asked Questions about the Changes in License Law

(More available on the Commission’s website,


Q How much real estate experience do I need to have the “provisional” status removed from my broker license?
A For at least four of the last six years, you must have been engaged on a full-time (or equivalent part-time) basis in activities for which a real estate license is required.
Q I have a real estate salesperson license and work full-time as an assistant for a very busy broker.  Can I claim my experience as a “licensed assistant” as qualifying experience?
A Yes, so long as your work included activities for which a real estate license is required.
Q I work as a leasing agent for an apartment complex.  I have a real estate salesperson license even though a license is not required for what I do.  Can I claim this experience as qualifying experience?
A No, because the work you perform does not require a real estate license.
Q I have a real estate salesperson license and work as an office manager/bookkeeper for a real estate firm.  Does this count as qualifying experience?
A No.  Working for a real estate firm as an office manager, bookkeeper, secretary or in any other ministerial capacity does not qualify because a real estate license is not required to perform the tasks and duties associated with these positions.
Q If called upon by the Real Estate Commission to verify my experience, what documentation should I have?
A In order of preference, written statements from your current and/or former brokers-in-charge or other firm officials giving the dates of your affiliation with the firm(s) and your activities there; and/or transaction documents from the period for which you are requesting credits; and/or a list of transactions you participated in during this period including dates, types of transactions, the parties and any other agents in the transactions, and your role in them.
Q I have been a broker-in-charge for several years and took the Broker-In-Charge Course within the past five years. Do I have to retake it after April 1, 2006?
A No, unless you have a “break in service” as broker-in-charge.  However, you must take the Broker-In-Charge Annual Review Course each year beginning with the July 2006 – June 2007 license period.
Q What is meant by a “break in service”?
A If, at any time, you are NOT designated a broker-in-charge, you have experienced a “break in service”.  This would occur if you were replaced as broker-in-charge of a firm or office.  Or if you ceased being broker-in-charge of an office and then later began serving as broker-in-charge at another firm or office (i.e., the changes were notsimultaneous).  You would also experience a break in service if you fail to renew your license, or your license is made inactive because you did not take the annual Broker-In-Charge Annual Review Course or your continuing education Update Course.  These are some examples of when a break in service will occur.  If you then wish to be re-designated as a broker-in-charge, you must satisfy the new broker-in-charge education and experience requirements.


This article came from the March 2006-Vol36-3 edition of the bulletin.